Monday, November 15, 2010

THE BLUE GUY-RECAP

I'm sorry. I don't have any pictures from the Blue Guy so I'll have to describe it. Mindy and her daughter Lucy decorated their house with orange flowers to go with the blue table cloths and place mats that Kat got. Phil and Tracy (the servers) and Mindy (the hostess) wore blue and orange outfits to complete the look.
When people arrived they were served a choice of rye or sherry to go along with fish balls (cod and potato croquettes) and flat bread with scallions, rosemary and parmesan cheese.
Having never had a restaurant before, the servers and kitchen crew (Kat) did a great job getting the food out.
We had three tables: two four tops and one eight top.
Phil and Tracy took turns announcing each dish.
The first thing was a salad with arugula, fennel, blood oranges and pomegranate seeds.
Next was pappardelle that I made earlier in the day (a lot of it stuck together in transport but Lucy helped me salvage it) with butter and truffles that Tracy expertly shaved onto each person's plate.
Then we had short ribs that had been braising in wine for a day or so, with cannellini beans and red, yellow and orange carrots.
Mac (a vegetarian) had Black Sea bass baked in salt.
For dessert we served coconut cake (from a recipe I saw on America's Test Kitchen) and chocolate Puddin' cake.
I had the most fun I've had in a long time. It wasn't really stressful cooking for all these great "customers", I felt very supported and I had confidence in my crew.
Thanks to everyone that participated.
Hopefully we can do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fantastic. We're sorry we weren't in NY. I'm glad you did it. Hopefully, you'll do an LA pop-up.

    ReplyDelete